In June 2019, Zurich announced actions towards reducing climate change, by expanding existing thermal coal policy, committing to utilize 100% renewable power until 2022 and signing Business Ambition for 1.5 degrees Celsius Pledge.
- generate more than 30% of their revenue from mining thermal coal and oil shale, or companies that have at least 30% direct revenues from the extraction of oil from oil sands;
- generate more than 30% of their electricity from coal and oil shale;
- produce more than 20 million tons of thermal coal per year;
- are in the process of developing any new coal mining or coal power infrastructure;
- are dedicated transportation infrastructure operators for oil sands products, including pipelines and railway transportation;